The safety of employees is always a company’s primary concern, however, keeping a business productive while maintaining a safe environment for everyone is just as important. Electrical maintenance is a critical component of any company that relies on electrical equipment to keep their business up and running. Ensuring that your electrical equipment is in good working order and keeping it maintained can ultimately save time and money. Commercial electrical maintenance should include a routine maintenance inspection. Conducted by a trained professional, regular maintenance will help identify potential problems and issues before they become safety hazards.
Electrical awareness in the workplace can go a long way towards achieving electrical safety, here are 5 things you can do to make your place of work safer:
- Keep an eye out for wear & tear on sockets, switches, light fittings, and other appliances. It’s a good idea to schedule a regular walk-around to check things over.
- Report any excessive heat or heat damage occurring within the electrical installation. Often you can smell electrical burning before you can see it, the first sign being the acrid and sometimes fishy smell that accompanies it.
- Have Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICRs) conducted regularly. This is an in-depth check of the electrical installation carried out by a professional and will flag up any issues. Most businesses require an EICR every 5 years, and some insurers will offer you a discount for having a satisfactory one.
- Turn off devices when not in use! It’s all too easy to become complacent with this in the workplace, leaving devices switched on when you are finished with them. Shutting things down properly is a simple yet effective way to improve your electrical safety.
- Educate staff on the warning signs of electrical faults and let them know who to report issues to. All too often the signs of danger can go unreported; if a member of staff smells burning, sees damage to the electrical installation or even spots arcing and sparking – they should be able to recognise the danger and know who to go to with their concerns.
We collaborate with companies throughout Peterborough, Yaxley, Market Deeping and surrounding areas, overseeing all of their electrical maintenance requirements. Whilst inspection requirements will vary based on the nature of your business, here at MDS Electrical we can help create a maintenance plan tailored to your needs.
If you would like to discuss your electrical maintenance requirements and responsibilities, please don’t hesitate to get in touch for advice by calling 01733 698151 or sending an email to email@example.com.